1. What is the source and irony of the title of this play?
2. While Shaw uses many elements of farce, this is still called a “drama of ideas.” Discuss Shaw’s use of farce to demonstrate some of his ideas.
3. What is meant by the subtitle “An Anti-Romantic Comedy”?
4. Which character best serves as Shaw’s spokesman?
5. Shaw rejected romanticism and embraced realism. How realistic is Arms and the Man? How much of it is “unrealistic”?
6. How does Sergius’ view of war differ from Bluntschli’s?
7. Other than being used for his farcical actions, how does Nicola function in the drama?
8. Is Louka’s entrapment of Sergius believable?